Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Turkish Baseball





Well from football it's now onto baseball. I've been watching the baseball World Series from Turkey through the internet. However due to the time difference and lack of time, I am still watching games from 3 days ago:) I keep things safe by not checking the sports news and it still feels live.

The key part of this baseball experience is the teaching. Baseball is hardly known here in Turkey, except for cheesy baseball movies and cartoons. And let me tell you baseball is one complicated game to explain. I mean - who came up with all these complex rules and strategies?

My brother Josh tried to do this at Ara cafe in Istanbul when we were there, taking the back of a table place-mat and drawing a complex "how-to" diagram for Ayşegül's curious friends.
Tonight my new buddy Emin and I watched Saturdays game (pretending it was Saturday and the game was live:).

My challenge this evening was teaching baseball all in Turkish. I had to perform a fair amount of sound effects and miming in order to get the point across (not to mention many diagrams which you see above), but it seemed to work:). I also learned the Turkish words for pitcher (Atici) and batter (Oyun Kurucu). For anyone out there please do not tell me the score of any game until at least a week after, as it seems it takes me that long to catch a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment